For the test, you must be prepared to understand relationships between processes and so you will come across questions that will challenge you to determine the best next course of action. The challenge with these types of questions is that you may be given several potentially “right” actions with only one best next action. Try these:
1. You are the project manager for the development of new technology. Due to the nature of the project and level of uncertainty, it is important to perform a thorough risk analysis and planning. Your team has identified risks, ranked the risks for further analysis and conducted a quantitative analysis. What should you do next?
a. Conduct a risk reassessment.
b. Lead the team through the process of mitigating all risks.
c. Lead the team through the Plan Risk Responses process.
d. Conduct the Delphi technique.
2. The project manager assigned to a software upgrade for a financial system has left the company. Fortunately, the project was still in planning. The project charter has been approved with a proposed budget of $350,000 and a schedule of 9 months. You are now taking responsibility for this project. Which should you do next?
a. Identify risks.
b. Develop the scope management plan.
c. Create the Work Breakdown Structure.
d. Define the activities of the project.
3. A consulting services firm has initiated a project to implement a new sales tracking system. The project manager for this project has interviewed various stakeholders and had a brief discussion of the results of the interview with the CEO of the firm, the project sponsor. The project charter for the project has already been approved. Which of the following should the project manager do next?
a. The project manager should start the collect requirements process.
b. The project manager should develop the communications management plan.
c. The project manager should develop the stakeholder management plan.
d. The project manager should create the stakeholder register.
1. The best answer is (c) – “Plan Risk Responses” is the next risk planning process. Answer (a) is not the best answer because a risk reassessment would be performed in monitoring and controlling, typically after the plan has been completed. Answer (b) is not the best answer because “mitigating” all risks is not necessarily the best approach – “mitigate” is only one of four possible risk responses or strategies. Answer (d) is not the best answer because this technique, if used, would have been used in the “Identify Risks” process.
2. The best answer is (b) – out of the four planning processes listed, developing the scope management plan would be performed prior to the other processes. Answer (a) is not the best answer because ideally, you would have created the work breakdown structure before you perform the identify risks process. Answer (c) is not the best answer because a scope management plan is a prerequisite to the create WBS process. Answer (d) is not the best answer because a WBS is a prerequisite to the Define Activities process.
3. The best answer is (d) because the stakeholder register (developed in Initiating) is a prerequisite to the other three planning processes listed.